Agnes Cassidy: freshman at WVU, avid blogger, ghost hunter; 1/5 of MAPI
Get started here.

Friday, February 24, 2012

late nights, local hauntings, and my reckless mother.


I just got done with an exhausting telephone conversation with Liz. Apparently she took the liberty of setting aside her latest book to research some of the local hauntings. She went over the more common tales: the headless co-eds, Hotel Morgan. She even rehashed the East Boreman haunting (at one point of the summer she was insistent that I dorm there). But she even surprised me with a few of the lesser known hauntings.
For example, the Seneca Center apparently used to be an old glass factory before it was converted into a shopping center. There were reports of it being haunted - door opening and closing when no one is around, strange noises, that sort of thing.
And of course, I felt obliged to share what I’d learned.
One of the guys in my English class was talking about a supposed haunting at the Beta Theta Phi fraternity a few weeks ago. His older brother is a pledge there and several of his friends have reported hearing clanging of chains in a lower room of the house. Some believe that it is the ghost of a former butler that worked there in the 1940s while others believe that it is the ghost of a homeless person that they charitably let live there who hung himself in the 80s.
Although the conversation may have been lengthy, I was acutely aware of how little we have to talk about. My mother’s world is immersed in the paranormal, the woman is generally reckless and I was left wondering on countless occasion throughout my childhood if I were better off with my grandparents.
But when my answer to that question was a resounding “yes”, I was six months shy of eighteen and moving didn’t really seem like the wisest option.


No comments:

Post a Comment