Agnes Cassidy: freshman at WVU, avid blogger, ghost hunter; 1/5 of MAPI
Get started here.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Liz's book, the truth, and the red rocking chair

I've been doing a lot of thinking since Liz announced B&W Publishing agreed to publish her book. I couldn't push it out of my mind, as much as I tried.
Liz, my mother, was going to be famous from writing a true haunting that happened to her own daughter.
It happened in the house that I lived in my senior year of high school. And it happened almost immediately.
Liz and I arrived the night before the moving truck did, so we settled into the living room for the night. The sleeping bags and lack of running water and electricity made me feel like a homeless person. I kept hearing scuttling which I attributed to mice at the time so I dismissed it.
The next morning, when the moving trucks arrived, I was carrying some of Liz's boxes into the spare room. The door knob was stuck, so it took me a few shoves to get the door open, but I was immediately struck with an all too familiar eerie tingle down my spine. I rolled my eyes, of course it was another haunted house.
I remember taking the boxes to the furthest corner of the room, knowing that there was more to be brought up. I also remember the door creaking shut and I attributed it a worn hinge. But when I turned to leave, the door wasn't there.
Immediately a panicked feeling bubbled up into my throat. I tried to remain calm, but it was nearly impossible as I did a full 360 scanning for the door.
I remember closing my eyes to count to five. But I only got to three before I heard the same scuttling sound I heard the night before, except with it being much closer, it reminded me more of a rocking chair than mice in the walls.
I could feel my heart beating erratically, my palms were shaking, and was taking a few steadied breaths.
When I opened my eyes, I moved my attention to the center of the room, where there was a tiny red rocking chair and a small boy with a malicious grin on his face.
I screamed, pounding on the walls begging for Liz to find me. I've experienced presences in houses before, but I've never experienced a full body apparition until then.
After that, I steered clear of that room. Even though my room was a paper thin wall away, the boy seemed to be confined to that room. And with my music loud enough I could drown out the sound of rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment